Project leader’s contact details
Name: Professor Franz Fuerst
Address: University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economy, 19 Silver Street, Cambridge CB3 9EP
Phone Number: 01223337137
Date privacy notice completed: 26/01/2022
The type of personal information this project will collect:
This project will collect and process the following information:
- The main dataset to be used in this project is provided by Zoopla/Whenfresh via the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC). It contains property transactions and rentals within England and Wales between 2014 and 2019. Transaction data covers 5.2M property listings from major England and Wales property portals while rental data covers 3.6M listings.
- The files generated during the research, containing, will make up an integrated database containing the Whenfresh rental data merged with ONS socio-economic data; and potentially other datasets such as transportation data (access to railway stations) (NaPTAN), neighbourhood school performance (OFSTED) and nearby retail options (Geolytix). These supplementary datasets are subject to availability and acquisition cost checks.
How and why this project obtains personal information
- This project will be collecting information on the general public via dwelling- and property-level data owned by a third party. The project is also planned to include the combining, comparing or matching of data from multiple sources. On occasion, this type of matching of datasets can result in a loss of anonymity in the original dataset.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- We have a legal obligation.
- We have a legitimate interest.
How this project will store any personally identifiable information
- No information will be shared on individual data entries or any other information that might enable inference on individual observations.
- Any derived personally identifiable information that might emerge through data linking is securely stored in the virtual research environment LASER – the Leeds Analytic Secure Environment for Research; which is compliant with ISO27001.
- At the conclusion of the project, all information will be deleted; and the deletion confirmed with LIDA via the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC). This is in accordance with a prior user agreement signed by the project lead on 11/08/2021.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC), email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how LIDA or this project has used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk